Balcatta Senior High School implements the Department of Education Attendance Policy. Within this policy are four key processes. These include:
Recognise: Every student’s attendance is monitored daily and every absence identified
Resolve: Every absence is investigated and the reason recorded.
Restore: Where a student’s attendance is below 90% or is identified as a concern, school-devised case management and legislative strategies are implemented to restore attendance.
Record: Accurate records of daily attendance using SEQTA, explanations and strategies accompany the schools Attendance Improvement Plan.
Under the Western Australian law (School Education Act 1999), parents must send their children to school unless:
- they are too unwell
- they have an infectious disease
- the Principal is provided with a genuine and acceptable reason
For every absence, your child must be accompanied with an explanation. Any absence may be communicated to the school by the following methods:
Telephone: 9345 8200 (follow the prompts)
SMS: 0409 686 684 (For advice of absentees only)
In addition to the four key processes above, students are also eligible for a Reward to support and acknowledge attendance:
- 90% attendance - $20 Westfield gift card raffle for 2 students from each year group in each term
- 99% and 100% attendance – End of Term BBQ for all students with 99% attendance and above.
- 100% attendance and certificate recognition at year group assemblies.
Information for Parents regarding SMS Communications for students unexplained absences and late arrivals