STUDENT MOBILE ELECTRONIC DEVICE POLICY
The Department of Education does not permit student use of mobile phones in public schools unless for medical or teacher directed educational purpose. For the purposes of this policy, ‘mobile electronic devices’ include smart watches, tablets/ipads, hand held game consoles, other electronic communication devices and associated listening accessories, such as, but not limited to, bluetooth speakers, headphones and ear buds.
It is important to note that it is not a requirement at Balcatta Senior High School for students to have a Mobile Electronic Device at school.
Balcatta Senior High School recognises that an increasing number of parents/carers who for safety, security and/or emergency purposes wish to provide their children with mobile phones. This policy details the conditions under which Mobile Electronic Devices are permitted at Balcatta Senior High School.
Conditions of use – any device (as listed above)
- ALL Mobile Electronic Devices (as listed above) should be ‘off and away all day’ including before school and at break times.
- Must not be used for taking photographs or videos, unless instructed by the teacher to be used as a learning tool.
- The Mobile Electronic Device is the responsibility of the student. The school takes no responsibility for loss, theft or damage to any device in any circumstance, even if confiscated at the time of loss.
- Exception to this policy include where a student requires a mobile phone to monitor a health condition as part of a school approved documented health care plan.
While at school, contact with parents must be made through Student Services by phone on 9345 8228, not the student’s mobile phone. Parents must communicate through the school if they need to make emergency contact with their children.
Breaches of these conditions:
- Mobile Electronic Device will be confiscated.
- Confiscation of the device (first and second breach), to be collected after school by student from the Associate Principal.
- Confiscation of the device (third breach), to be collected after school by parent from the Associate Principal.
- Repeated breaches of this policy will result in the Principal withdrawing permission for the student to bring a mobile phone or other devices to school.
- Students who refuse to follow a teacher’s instructions are dealt with in accordance with the School Behaviour Plan – including possible suspension.
- Students who are involved in recording, distributing or uploading fights or other inappropriate material will be dealt with as a serious breach of school discipline and suspended for a period of time in accordance with the Department of Education’s No Voice to Violence campaign.