All students are required to adhere to the Balcatta Senior High School Uniform Policy which reflects the requirements of the Department of Education’s Dress Codes for Students Policy.
Acceptance of enrolment at Balcatta Senior High School assumes an agreement between the parent/guardian and the enrolling student that the student will adhere to the Balcatta Senior High School Uniform Policy at all times. This Policy reflects the requirements of the Department of Education’s Dress Codes for Students Policy. The Balcatta Senior High School Council has endorsed the Uniform Policy which also has the full support of the Balcatta Senior High School P&C and School Board.
Department of Education Dress Code Policy rules:
- All public schools are required to have a dress code.
- Students are required to comply with the code.
- Clothing made from denim is not permitted.
Dress codes are tangible evidence of the standards expected of students and play an important role in promoting a positive image of the school and creating a sense of identity for students. Dress codes provide standards of what is acceptable in relation to clothing worn by students at the school including headwear, footwear and aspects of personal presentation, including hairstyles, make up and jewellery.
The benefits of a dress code include:
- promoting safety of students through easier identification;
- keeping costs of clothing within reasonable limits for parents; and
- assisting students to learn the importance of appropriate presentation.
Availability of uniform items: Items may be purchased from the school Uniform Shop in the canteen area on Wednesdays between 8.00 am and 10.00 am.
Secondary Assistance Scheme (SAS): The State Government, through the Department of Education, provides financial support to eligible parents through the SAS which comprises of two allowances: Educational Program Allowance (EPA) and Clothing Allowance. Further information can be obtained by contacting: Schools Resourcing and Support Directorate, Department of Education, on 9264 4516 or email@example.com.
Exemptions: Students who, for religious or health reasons, may wish to modify the school uniform are required to make an appointment with an Associate Principal.
Non-Compliance: Under the School Education Regulations, the Principal of the school may apply the following sanctions for non-compliance:
- Prevent the student from attending any activity in which the student would have been representing the school;
- Prevent the student from attending or participating in any school activity which, in the opinion of the Principal, is not part of the educational program; or
- Any other sanction that is part of our school's Behaviour Management Plan.
BSHS UNIFORM REQUIREMENTS
School logo only; no stripes or denim.
- School polo top with BSHS logo:
Years 7-9 students in navy blue only
Years 10-12 student in white only
- School shorts in plain navy blue.
- School trousers in plain navy blue.
- School track pants in plain navy blue.
- School jacket or windcheater in navy blue with
- School skirts in plain navy blue (4 pleats or straight).
- Leggings (navy blue only) can only be worn underneath shorts, skirts or skorts. Leggings cannot be worn as an item on their own.
- Plain navy cap.
- Enclosed shoes with plain white, navy or black socks or stockings.
- No excessive make up, jewellery or accessories.
For formal occasions, student representatives (eg Prefects) will be required to wear a white shirt, BSHS tie and blazer, navy skirt or trousers, and black shoes. A blazer and tie will be loaned to them by the school.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION (PE) AND SPECIAL DANCE:
Students must change into appropriate active wear.
- Navy blue shorts, tracksuits or skirts with appropriate undergarments.
- BSHS PE top or plain t-shirt.
- Appropriate running shoes and socks (laces tied).
- Sun protective hat and sunscreen SPF30+.
- Hair must be tied back.
- No jewellery.
Soccer (same as for PE) plus:
- Navy sports shorts with BSHS soccer or PE top.
- Soccer boots, socks and shin pads.
- Mouthguard (optional).
Swimming (and water based activities):
- Bathers (one piece), board shorts or speedos.
- Sun protective hat, rash shirt or t-shirt.
- Sunscreen SPF30+
- Plain black or white fitted singlet or T-shirt.
- Plain black dance shorts, leggings, yoga pants or track pants (for males);
- Long hair neatly secured off the face.
- No jewellery; shoes or socks (unless stated for performances).
A uniform loan system operates through Student Services for individual circumstances that may arise. Uniforms are labelled “Property of Balcatta SHS”. Items not returned will result in an invoice sent home.