The Balcatta Senior High School Student Services team primarily works to improve the social and emotional well-being and health of all students. The team is committed to establishing effective pastoral care practices that will best contribute to students’ well-being and support academic achievement and progress.
The following areas are the core business of Student Services Support team:
- Student behaviour
- Student attendance and engagement
- Student well-being
- Pastoral care practices
Parents and guardians are welcome and encouraged to make contact with a member of the Student Services team to discuss any of these matters.
Student Service Team Staff Roles
Student Services Manager – Behaviour, attendance, interagency and community support systems and pastoral care programs.
Year Coordinators – Pastoral care, student councillors, positive rewards, uniform.
School Psychologist – Student well-being and parent support.
School Chaplain – Holistic student support and somebody to talk to.
School Community Nurse – Health Education support for staff and students, community education and student health, emotional and physical support.
Programs and activities co-ordinated by Students Services (and not limited to):
- Welcome Pool Party for all students, parents and teachers
- Year 7 Transition Program and Orientation Camp
- ANZAC Day Assembly
- Outreach counselling support services for students – e.g. Mercy Care, Open Doors, and Youth Link
- Drumbeat is aimed at students requiring support in communication and emotional competence through the use of music and is run in small group sessions
- Mentor Programs (Years 7, 8, 11 and 12 students)
- Study Skills Program (Years 11 to 12 students)
- Community guest speakers for students and parents addressing drug and alcohol education, bullying and risk-taking behaviours
- Cultural education including Indigenous performances
- Teen Mental Health First Aid training for all Year 10 students
- Foodbank program and Healthy Eating co-ordinated by the school community nurse
- Victory Life breakfast program, lunch sports and student mentoring
- School Volunteer Program – student mentoring
- Semester Presentation Assemblies – top and merit students for subjects, Academic Excellence and Respect/Unite/Excel Awards
- Reward excursions for year groups
Download: Self Help Contacts
School Chaplain - Merrilee Wong
Merrilee Wong is the Chaplain at Balcatta Senior High School. Merrilee commenced her duties at the beginning of Term 2 and finds it a privilege to be able to work with students, parents and staff and looks forward to becoming more involved with the school community.
Merrilee’s role is about building relationships, offering care and support to individual needs of the students and also helping meet the wider needs of the school. She has a vast amount of volunteer experience in working with teenagers through community development programs. Last year, she completed a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Psychology and Counselling. Merrilee is located in the Chaplain’s office in the canteen area and will be available every Tuesday and Friday.