Balcatta Senior High School aims to develop in young people a sense of respect for themselves and others, personal and community responsibility and the ability to work within the school’s expectations. All students will start each year with “Good Standing”. Students maintain their Good Standing by meeting the school’s expectations in terms of satisfactory behaviour, attendance, dress and work standards.
What is Good Standing?
What does loss of Good Standing mean?There is an expectation that academic requirements of student courses will be met. This includes completion of the study program and submission of coursework and assessments to a reasonable standard.
A student with Good Standing can participate in school events throughout the year.
When a student loses Good Standing, the student will lose the privilege of being invited to any special events or school activities including but not limited to:
- Year 7 Orientation Camp or alike
- Incentive excursions
- Dinner dances, School ball
- Year 12 farewell dinner and final assembly
- Special presentation evenings
- Representing the school in sporting or other teams
- Rewards days
Students can restore their Good Standing status by submitting a Good Standing evaluation application that is supported by two staff/teachers, along with a monitoring sheet. The application will be emailed to all staff for their information and support. The Student Services team will review applications.
Please note that a student is unable to regain Good Standing within ten (10) days of an event (e.g. if an event is scheduled for Friday of Week 7 of any term, Good Standing must be regained by Tuesday of Week 6 to be eligible to attend).
The Good Standing list is emailed to all staff regularly indicating the students who have lost their Good Standing status.
- Staff are requested to submit names of students who have not met academic requirements leading into a special event or school activity.
- Students are kept informed of their Good Standing status via Form, Year Assemblies and discussions with Student Services Managers and Year Coordinators.
- If a student has lost their Good Standing a letter will be sent home by the Student Services Manager or Year Coordinator. Contact can be made to the Student Services Manager or Year Coordinator to discuss the concerns.
- Why Good Standing was lost and how to change student actions/behaviours for the future to prevent reoccurrence.
- The student will submit a Return to Good Standing application that is supported by two staff/teachers.
- Be reviewed at the appointed date.