The Good Standing Policy at Balcatta Senior High School reflects the high expectations of our school community in regards to academic effort, regular attendance, adherence to dress code and respect for self and others. The policy rewards students who:
- are supportive of the school’s stated values
- respect the right of other students to learn and teachers to teach in a safe, caring and supportive environment
- strive to achieve at their ability level
- attend school on a regular basis and
- consistently adhere to the School Dress Code.
All students commence with Good Standing on enrolment or at the start of each school year.
The requirements for maintaining Good Standing are communicated to students at assemblies, during form class and by classroom teachers throughout the year.
Good Standing will not be compromised by low-level misbehaviours which can be dealt with using CMS strategies.
|Student achieves Good Standing when||Reinstatement of Good Standing when|
|ATTENDANCE||All absences are satisfactorily explained|
Attendance is at 90% or above
Student is punctual to school and to class
|All absences are satisfactorily explained
Student achieves 90% attendance or above for 4 weeks following loss of Good Standing
Student attends school and class on time for 4 weeks following loss of Good Standing
|CITIZENSHIP AND BEHAVIOUR||Student has not received a negative Behaviour Report|
Student has not been suspended from school
Student adheres to School Dress Code
|Student completes behaviour contract and there are no further behaviour reports for 4 weeks.
Student who has been suspended from school completes return from suspension contract and there are no further behaviour reports for 10 weeks.
Student completes 4 weeks of wearing correct school uniform
|ACADEMIC EFFORT||Results reflect student has worked to best of ability|
Homework and assignments are completed promptly
|Student performance is monitored for 4 weeks and there is clear evidence of increased effort|
PROCEDURES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All staff are responsible for knowing and supporting the Good Standing procedures.
Heads of Learning Area, Teachers in Charge, classroom teachers, Form teachers, and Year Coordinators are responsible for the entry of data on SEQTA.
The Year Coordinator will monitor good standing based on the information in SEQTA.
If a student does not maintain Good Standing the Year Coordinator will:
- notify the student and contact the parent when Good Standing has been suspended and explain how it can be reinstated
- support students in regaining good standing by monitoring academic performance and assisting students in improved decision-making
- reinstate Good Standing when the student has met the requirements
- Information is presented on enrolment within the information package provided to parents
- Form teachers review procedures at the start of the school year
- Classroom Teachers and Form Teachers provide frequent reminders of expectations
- Whole school and year assemblies address expectations when necessary
- School website and Facebook site include postings to remind students of behaviour requirements
- Parents receive an information package on student enrolment.
- Regular reminders are included in all school communications
- Detailed information is available on the school website
- SCHOOL STAFF
- In-service information provided to new teachers on commencement
- All staff briefing at the commencement of the school year and regularly throughout the year
- Engagement in review and development process during staff meetings and learning area meetings
MONITORING AND REVIEW
The Administrator responsible for behaviour support will coordinate the following:
- Implementation of the Good Standing Policy throughout the school year
- The consistent implementation of Good Standing procedures in the school.
- Review and modification of the Good Standing Policy at least annually and as necessary during the school year, in collaboration with school staff.