ACADEMIC EXTENSION PROGRAM
Balcatta Senior High School is committed to providing opportunities for academic extension and enrichment for high achieving students. At the core of one of our school values, “excel”, is the desire to keep all students engaged in active learning where they strive to achieve excellence in all aspects of their schooling.
We offer a selective entry academic extension program that encourages students to strengthen their critical and creative thinking, problem-solving skills and higher order thinking. The program brings together like-minded, high achieving students to accelerate their learning across all learning areas. Students are exposed to problem-based and co-operative learning strategies that provide stimulation and challenge to each learning experience.
The Academic Extension Program offers:
- Acceleration of students through the standard Western Australian Curriculum
- Possible extension of students into content from further year levels
- Opportunities for students to explore the curriculum in more depth
- Enrichment of students’ education through deep learning practices and a focus on developing students’ creativity, collaboration, communication, critical thinking, character and citizenship (the 6 C's)
- Development of students’ study and organisation skills
- Opportunity for students to work with a group of peers who challenge and support each other to succeed.
Selection into the Program
To apply for the Academic Extension Program, parents must supply the following information:
- Application form
- Most recent school report
- Year 5 NAPLAN results
- Primary teacher’s recommendation form
Students are then invited to a selection day during which they sit an aptitude test and participate in problem-solving and creativity activities.
Students’ selection into the program is based on all aspects of their application, including their performance on the selection day.
Structure of the program
Students in the program are placed in the same Mathematics, English, Science and HASS classes. In these classes, students work towards mastering the Western Australian curriculum and take part in extension and enrichment activities. Students will be extended and enriched by providing opportunities for them to explore the content more deeply, with a focus on developing their higher-order thinking skills.
In this class students will also be exposed to a range of competitions and activities that aim to challenge them and provide opportunities for further development.
This program commences in Year 7 and continues throughout Year 8 and Year 9.
To maintain placement in the program, students must uphold a high standard of academic achievement and behaviour. Students’ performance will be evaluated at the end of each semester.
Register your interest NOW (complete your details below) for our Academic Extension Program for next year. We will contact you to provide further information.